Thursday, December 18, 2008

One and Done

I've been trying to get in on a cricket match my entire time here. This morning, I finally got my chance. I had to wake up at 6:00am to head out with some people from work.

We played in this barren field that had pitches consisting of a few stones and a well worn path. When we arrived, fog covered the field giving it this otherworldly aura. Eventually, it lifted and we were able to play.

After a few warm-ups, I felt confident that I could compete in this game. After making some decent plays in the field, I eventually got called in for as the batsman.

I ran to the crease, excited to show off what I could do. I settled in, running over all of the tips I was given. The first pitch came in and, as it approached me, I could tell the pitcher took a little bit off of it to give me an easier time. With this perfect pitch coming right into my wheelhouse, I took a big cut. But, the ball was popped straight up and it was over. With my head down and a bunch of the players chuckling, I walked back out to my post in the field.

I guess cricket's not my game.

No comments: